Use the Multilingual App Toolkit inside Visual Studio to streamline your localization workflow for Windows Store and Windows Phone apps. The toolkit helps you localize your apps with localization file management, translation support, and editor tools.
PCLs are not currently supported, but this is something worth considering. I would recommend creating a request on the User Voice site for MAT (http://multilingualapptoolkit.uservoice.com) for the PCL support so that others can add their voice to the request as well.
The Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android take a different, platform specific resourcing model that MAT does not support. Besides another user voice request, I would recommend looking at MVP Chris Miller's blog using MAT in with Xamarin and cross-platform development. Here is his blog: http://www.codemag.com/Article/1401081
Anyone else having issues with existing apps? Getting the following when VS loads the project and this when I try to compile or debug:
1 The file exists.
2 Update XLIFF build failed.
3 Multilingual App Toolkit build completed with errors.
<description>System.IO.IOException: The file exists.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Path.InternalGetTempFileName(Boolean checkHost)
at System.Windows.Input.Cursor.LoadFromStream(Stream cursorStream)
at System.Windows.Input.Cursor..ctor(Stream cursorStream)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.LeftSelectionMarginProvider.CreateMargin(IWpfTextViewHost textViewHost, IWpfTextViewMargin containerMargin)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.<AddMargins>b__2(IWpfTextViewMarginProvider mp)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.InstantiateExtension[TExtension,TMetadata,TExtensionInstance](Object errorSource, Lazy`2 provider, Func`2 getter)</description>
Same error here. I've raised a question on SO but no response.
I've tried installing older version, but same error persists.
SamVM, I'm looking into this issue but am having a hard time creating a repro. Can you enabled the toolkit and perform a build in Detailed mode? (Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->Build and Run and set "MSBuild project build out verbosity" to Detailed? Also, any environment details as well.
I only need the section between the start and end reports
1> Multilingual App Toolkit build started.
1> Multilingual App Toolkit build completed successfully.
This feels like a file is trying to be created, but already exists, but I'm not able to narrow it down - yet.
I've replied to the query in the MSDN forum (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/e534b2cf-8211-43e8-a8da-ebec2a3d56b7/error-multilingual-app-toolkit-build-completed-with-errors?forum=wpdevelop)
It is working fine for me now, but I'll keep you posted here in case of any errors.
This might help, MultilingualPhoneBuild is an invalid child element in the XML listed below:
<!-- Define the build task and parameters -->
<Target Name="MultilingualAppToolkit" AfterTargets="BeforeBuild">
The problem turned out to be related to hitting the limit of temp files that can be created by the System.IO.Path.GetTempFileName() API (see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev11.query?appId=Dev11IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(System.IO.Path.GetTempFileName);k(GetTempFileName);k(TargetFrameworkMoniker-.NETFramework,Version%3Dv4.5);k(DevLang-csharp)&rd=true)
Once the temp files from all the different process (beyond MAT) were cleaned up, the problem no longer occurs. If you hit this issue, please be sure to clean your %temp% folder to get unblocked.
Thanks for the great toolkit remark :-)
Here is a quick list:
1.2 to 2.0
- Added support for Visual Studio 2013 Preview
- Translation Suggestion support – exposed via the editor
- Multiple same language provider support (If the first provider does not find a translation, or high enough confidence level, the next provider in the list is checked)
- Support for 3rd party translation providers.
- Addition of a “Recycle XLIFF Translation” which allows you to quickly select XLF files from other projects to recycle based on exact match.
- Multi-selection of XLF files in the IDE for Generate, Send, Import and Recycle
- Send for Translation and Import Translation compressed file support.
- Bug fixes
2.0 to 2.1
- Added the Microsoft Language Portal translation provider (See: http://blogs.technet.com/b/terminology/archive/2013/10/01/announcing-the-microsoft-terminology-service-api.aspx)
- Custom metadata support for 3rd party translation providers.
- Improved stability and usability in the Editor via improved hotkey and discoverability via tooltip support.
- Improved error and message reporting for both local and TFS builds
- Improved XLIFF data round tripping support
- Pre-population of XLIFF resources in new languages after the toolkit is enabled and built the first file (Windows Store projects)
- Updated supported for TFS based x64 projects
- Bug fixes
Sr. Program Manager - Multilingual App Toolkit team
If you are using the Multilingual App Toolkit, you find find my new app helpful. The XLIFF Localization Helper for Windows Phone 8 lets you open the XLF files on your phone so you can review translations on the go. Check it out!