Does anybody else has had a problem with installation for 2015 Community Edition? Downloaded 1.0.9 beta from the author's website.
31/03/2016 17:35:57 - Found installed product - Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Integrated)
31/03/2016 17:35:57 - Found installed product - Global Location
31/03/2016 17:36:01 - The following target products have been selected...
31/03/2016 17:36:01 - Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
31/03/2016 17:36:01 -
31/03/2016 17:36:02 - Beginning to install extension to Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015...
31/03/2016 17:36:02 - Install Error : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.CheckForValidDotNetFramework(IExtension extension)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.CheckForInstallBlockers(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, Boolean isNestedExtension, Boolean& olderVersionInstalled)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.InstallInternal(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, Boolean perMachine, Boolean isNestedExtension, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, AsyncOperation asyncOp, UInt64 totalBytesToWrite, UInt64& totalBytesWritten)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)
I downloaded from your posted URL, so I have the Oct 12th version. I'm using VS2012, and I put the zip file in my folder that I set up in my environment under Addins to point to this folder. I tried just the zip, the extracted zip in the addin root, the extracted zip in a sub-folder. Nothing seems to load it. How do I get this to work? Thanks.
The file you download is not a zip file it's a .vsix (visual studio add-in extension.) Normally you only need to double click this file to install it but I guess your zip file manager override the default program for this extension so you'll have to open this .vsix file manually with the Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector program.
Just installed this in 2010 as it seemed perfect for what I want. However there are 2 problems:
1. It appears to have made visual studio very unstable. It might be that it's not playing nicely with other plugins. I'm currently also using Visual Assist and Productivity Developer Tools (in addition to having just installed this one).
2. The Startup project dropdown box doesn't appear to be populated by anything
I've used this extension with those two you mentioned as well as with a bunch of other ones installed at the same time without any problems.
That is a very strange behaviour that wasn't reported so far. You might have found some weird compatibility.
Please answer these questions for me so I can try to pin point the problem:
- Does that happen with every project or just one?
- If it's only with one type of project, which type? c#, c++? windows library, windows phone, xbox?
- Does the problem manifests if you only have this extension?
I'm also working on a new version which I hope to get released over Christmas or very early next year. This version will bring the extension to a tool window as I received several requests for this.
There are two different version, one for 2010 and another for 2012. Unfortunately the version for 2012 is not yet updated so it might not work well on the final version of VS2012. I think it was due to a VS performance improvement that caused some issues in the plugin, I'm currently looking into those and trying to get them fixed ASAP. I'll let you know when it's available again. Sorry about that.
I was able to download the 2012 version from the developer's website (http://n0n4m3.codingcorner.net/?p=214) but now I have a different problem. It seems that the toolbar does not work. I tried to write some command arguments and then debugging my project, no effect. The cmd button does nothing and the "Startup Project" list contains no entries. I use Windows 8 with VS2012 both are freshly installed and fully updated.
As I said in my other post, the final version of VS2012 appears to have made some optimizations which broke the extension. I'm currently looking into the problem to fix it but it appears that it will require more code than I had anticipated.
I'll try to be quick and I'll keep you posted about any new developments.
Thank you for reporting this.
I updated CLIArgsMadeEasy2012. Please be aware that I didn't fix the problem completely. Make sure that you see the CLIArgs toolbar under the Visual Studio's main toolbar before you open a solution or else it won't work correctly.
I'm sorry about the inconvenience. I'll let you know as soon as I fix this. Thank you.