PTVS is a free/OSS plugin from Microsoft that turns VS into a Python IDE (Express/Pro). Supports CPython, IronPython, Intellisense, mixed Python/C++ debug, remote linux/MacOS debugging, profiling, multiple REPL’s, IPython, Django, flask, cloud computing, ...
hi jj995 - sorry about the problems :(. some clarifications:
1. there is no stepping from IronPython to C++. if you take a look at the docs, mixed mode debug is only available from CPython <-> C++.
2. there are a few debuggers/launchers at play. eg the .Net one (which allows IronPython/C# mixed mode), MMD (CPython/C++), and the regular Python one.
3. re isense w C#/IronPython - please file a bug so we can look. please include your particular scenario pls.
4. re help/IRC/etc. all our support is via the forum one the project's home page. we've generally been good about responding to all requests (despite being a small team). generally the dev who wrote the code will respond to your query (not PSS, etc).
5. it's true that CPyhton at this point has the best support. this partly reflect the user base (98% CPython). however, please file any bugs or feature requests and we'll try to adrs them as best possible. also note that we do take patches, so if youre a dev that would like to send us a pull request, we'd be delighted!
NOTE: Repost from https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/d8c19a3c-7240-444a-b4db-b7319fd61161/python-visual-studio-extension-doesnt-show-errors?forum=visualstudiogeneral
I'm used to use VS to code C++ and Eclipse to code python but lately I have tried VS for both languages.
I found something very difficult to understand that while VS autocompletes it doesn't warn you about errors before runtime.
There is no warning regarding non existent variables or methods. I can't believe that VS does not warn about this kind of typical coding issues as it does for C++ code (as every IDE does).
What am I missing?
I tested this with VS2013 and VS2015.
Example for the question.
python application folder
|___python_solution.sln, .proj ...
from clients.reddit import foo_module
if __name__ == '__main__':
I have a solution with a project and one .py file in it. The file in that project imports a module outside the project. Now in PowerShell this works. But in Visual Studio it doesn't. These are the issues:
I can't run this code from Visual Studio as I get an import error.
Intellisense doesn't work. When I'm working in python_application.py there is no intellisensefor bar_module.
Now I realize I could add bar_module.py to the project, but that makes a local copy which I don't want. What do I need to change so I can run this code from Visual Studio and get Intellisense to work?
Hi, can you tell me how to run python test in Visual Studio Online Hosted Build Controller?
From below link:
Looks like I should follow answer in question in this webpage "Can I run tests from a different unit test framework in my builds?"
But I can't figure out how yet.