Code Digger analyzes possible execution paths through your .NET code. The result is a table where each row shows a unique behavior of your code. The table helps you understand the behavior of the code, and it may also uncover hidden bugs.
Through the new context menu item "Ge...
Worked as shown in the dumb sample code, but when I tried it on some real code, it didn't show any results at all. The status bar at the bottom of the Inputs/Outputs window says "Pex: finished" but nothing is shown.
Shame, it looked useful, but if it can't handle real code, it's a waste of time.
Great for simple algorithms. But it seems to give up too early on complex ones. I've been trying to get it to "discover" the perfect bowling game by asserting that score < 300, and so far it hasn't found it.
I have found this tool very useful - generating cases I would not have thought of and obscure conditions that would potentially stop the application - I can now account for these conditions in error handling
I am very pleased as this will increase the robustness of my application - although it goes out of bounds regularly but I'm not sure if thats a problem with the code i'm testing
No, it's not that kind of "dropped" thing. It's only a name/re-brand thing.
Pex is named "Code Digger" in VS 2012 and VS 2013. Pex is named "Intellitest" in VS 2015 Enterprise Edition.
Go to this web link: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/pex/
And you'll see this statement that defines Pex in VS 2015:
"IntelliTest in Visual Studio 2015 is the next generation of Pex"
Got a solution for that,
Copy the Microsoft.Pex.Exe(s) in the same folder and rename them without the name Microsoft In C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Extensions\pzufqsb3.glv\(not sure if pzufqsb3.glv is the name on every machine).
Then run pex and go to your /bin/debug of the solution you are running it at. A reports folder is there. Inside the folder(s) search for report.per and open them in a text editor. You'll find the tests under <methodCode nodes.
Just installed this extension, and ran it on a few methods in my code. In every case, it didn't show any results at all. The status bar at the bottom of the Inputs/Outputs window says "Pex: finished" but nothing is shown.
Don't know if it's relevant, but the title bar of the panel says "Inputs/Outputs - stopped" even though I never stopped it. I set it running and waited.
I tried this on a couple of methods in a business logic layer, and also on ones in an MVC controller. Same (lack of) results in all cases.
Shame, this looked like a useful tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything on real code.
I want to take this opportunity to mention that this functionality now ships as "Smart Unit Tests" starting with the Visual Studio 2015 Preview.
Please try it out and let us know your feedback.
You can send us feedback using any of the following:
(1) Using the send-a-smile feature in Visual Studio (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zzszcehe.aspx).
(2) On our blogs on msdn (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/11/19/introducing-smart-unit-tests.aspx, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/12/11/smart-unit-tests-a-mental-model.aspx).
(3) On twitter @pvlakshm.
(4) Right here.
Thank you for your continued support.